When it comes to writing a Will, most people procrastinate for as long as they can. In fact, will writing doesn’t make it to the top 10 of our to-do list unless absolutely necessary.
There are many reasons why people don't make a Last Will. These are some of the reasons why people put off writing their will.
- Inertia, postponing the act;
- A belief that last Wills are meant only for the old;
- Waiting for life-threatening illnesses to nudge you to it;
- Believing that nothing's going to happen to them;
- Don't know what to do or how to go about it.
Let's look at each of these closely and examine the truth in it.
1. Inertia: “I'll do it later.” The only issue with this is that later seldom happens. The inevitable happens sooner.
2. Thinking that last Wills are only meant for the old: Wrong. Look at these celebrities.
- Princess Diana wrote her last Will at 32. She left us at 36.
- Marilyn Monroe wrote her last Will at 35. She left us at 36.
- Elvis Presley wrote his last Will at 42. He passed away at 42.
- Janis Joplin died at 27 updated her will 2 days earlier.
- Heath Ledger died at 28 but wrote a last Will at 23
3. Waiting for a life-threatening illness to nudge you: People suffering from life-threatening diseases have the opportunity to sort their affairs. Despite their unfortunate situations, they have the chance to take care of their family even after they’re gone. Victims of sudden death may not have sufficient time at hand to write a last Will. Prepare beforehand even if there are no warning signs.
4. Believing that nothing is going to happen to you: Life’s uncertain. Unexpected. Anything can happen. An occurrence like 9/11 or 26/11 could completely unravel your life or the lives of your loved ones. How many instances do we know of folks, who were here one day, but gone the next? The only thing we can do is be prepared. A last Will or a living trust can help your family through tough financial situations in your absence.
5. Don't know what to do or how to go about it: Did you know that anyone above the age of 21 could prepare a Will? The lack of knowledge and abundance of misconceptions tend to deter people from writing a Will. The scenario today has changed. Information about legal proceedings is available over the internet. Today, one can prepare their will in less than 5 steps. Don’t believe us? Try e-Will to create an express will in 3 steps!
Will writing continues to be a sensitive topic in India. People tend to get squeamish while discussing this subject which is closely associated with death. A Will is a legitimate declaration of your intention in distributing your property to your legal heirs. A will acts as a safety blanket. Therefore the moral of the story remains: It always pays to write a Last Will, when the going's good. For your sake and for the sake of your family peace.
Don't miss another Article
Subscribe to our blog for free and get regular updates right into your inbox.